Leon was born in 1939 in the small Ukrainian town of Zhitomir in the Soviet Republic of Ukraine.
Leon Oks has several styles of art that reflect the complexity of his experience and the complexity of his creative process. His paintings of sylvan scenes and Russian villages capture the beautiful moments of his youth. To this day, Leon is emotionally motivated to paint scenes of small Russian villages and the untamed rural woods and streams of the Ukrainian plateau. His sensitivity to and awe of Nature is revealed to us through the use of colors which only exist in Leon's imagination and on his canvases.
In his signature, expressionistic style, Leon appears fascinated by the concept of a "feminine" life force. This concept emerges in his depiction of single or multiple female figures with gender well defined and re-emphasized with the sensual symbolism of orchids and people growing and blossoming as if flowers. Oks expressionistic compositions are of intertwined, sinuous and sensual female shapes that are exaggerated but not distorted as if an artful depiction of a DNA helix. The palette is soft but warm which makes Oks paintings so approachable and embraceable. Leon sketches rapid, realistic life studies from which a feeling, a memory, a mood, and ultimately imagination takes over and guides the artist in his expressionistic meanderings.show
Leon Oks was born March 16, 1939 in Ukraine. Lives and works in the US.
1954-1958 – College of construction and architect, Ukraine; 1960-1964 Fine Art, Ukraine.
- 2013 – WOAS World of Art Showcase (Raleigh North Carolina);
- 2013 – CARROUSEL du LOUVRE;
- 2012 – INAUGURAL WORLD OF ART SHOWCASE, Wynn Resort in Las Vegas;
- 2012 – II WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART AWARD, Vienna Austria;
- 2012 – ANNUAL EXHIBITION by Members of the INTERNATIONAL ARTISTIC ADVISORS COMMITTIE, Museum of the Americas. Miami, FL;
- 2012 – INTERNATIONAL ISTAMBUL 2012 , APEIRON ART PLUS GALLERY Istanbul, Turkey;
- 2011 – ARTEXPO NEW YORK, Pier 94. New York;
- 2010 – ARTEXPO NEW YORK, Pier 94. New York;
- 2010 – SEASIDE GALLERY, "Spring Break". (Solo Show) April 14, 2010 through May 15 , 2010. ARTEXPO NEW YORK, Javits Convention Center. New York, NY;
- 2009 – EXPO ART MONTREAL;
- 2008 – Art moderne et contemporaine. Place Bonaventure;
- 2008 – ARTEXPO LAS VEGAS, Mandalay Bay Resort Convention Center. Las Vegas, NV;
- 2008 – ARTEXPO NEW YORK, Javits Convention Center. New York, NY;
- 2007 – FLORENCE BIENNALE: "Biennale Internazionale dell'Arte Contemporanea, Citta di Firenze. " (Group show.) Florence, Italy;
- 2004 – MUSEUM OF THE AMERICAS;
- 2004 – LATIN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM: "International Summer Art Show." Miami, FL, 2004;
- 2004 – LATIN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM: "Leon Oks." (Solo show). Miami, FL. January 9 - 31;
- 2003 – FLORENCE BIENNALE: "Biennale Internazionale dell'Arte Contemporanea, Citta di Firenze." Florence, Italy. December 6 -14.
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2013 – 1st. PRIZE Huston AWARD, International Huston Show;
- 2010 – David Di Michelangelo by Italian Association of Art "Italia in Arte";
- 2008 – Diploma Di Merito, Galleria D'arte Moderna "Alba", Ferrara, Italy;
- 2008 – Selected as a Charter Member of the Leading Intellectuals of the World;
- American Biographical Institute;
- 2007 – World's Most Respected Experts in the Field of International Contemporary Art;
- 2005 – The Best in Art and Creativity, the World of Art Award, UK;
- 2005 – Top 100 Contemporary Artists;
- International Biographical Centre of Cambridge, UK;
- 2004 – First Place Award, Best of the Show, "International Summer Show";
- Latin American Art Museum, Florida;
- 2004 – International Visual Artist of the Year, UK;
- 2004 – Professional Associated Academician of Art.